Wednesday 16 February 2011

Bieber on Abortion

He isn't sure what political party he'd support if he was old enough to vote. "I'm not sure about the parties," Bieber says. "But whatever they have in Korea, that's bad." He does have a solid opinion on abortion. "I really don't believe in abortion," Bieber says. "It's like killing a baby?" How about in cases of rape? "Um. Well, I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that." [my underlining]
Rolling Stone

I find this chilling. Undeniably abortion is a topic that needs to get talked about and often it seems that you don't really know someone until you know their views on the matter, but this strikes me as being weird. He doesn't seem like he's given much thought to the matter. If rape is merely "sad" and "everything happens for a reason"in Bieber's eyes then it seems evident to me that this kid doesn't have very much life experience. But then again, why would he? His comments on Korea seem to show that his views are very much shaped by the media. He doesn't even identify North Korea as a completely separate country from South Korea.

I hesitate however to go any further in dissecting his comments because he is an individual that clearly does not have fully formed views yet. I will however comment on this apparent string of popstars with psuedo-Evangelical world views. Seemingly the least rigid followers of these types of views were the Hanson brothers, but there were some definite underpinnings there. The Jonas Brothers wear purity rings. And now Justin Bieber is stating that abortion is wrong and sex is okay if you're in love.

The questions directed at Hanson and the Jonas Brothers are different in nature than those directed at Bieber. Key to this is that they were of age at the time and replied with responses on issues that they had clearly contemplated and reflected particular evident lifestyle choices they had made (getting married young, purity rings, etc.) Why abortion in a Rolling Stone interview with Justin Bieber? As far as I know he has never expressed particular interest in the topic of abortion or discussions on sex either for that matter, so why is it brought up?

This may be bad management on his side or a not so great interview idea on Rolling Stone's side. Whatever the reasoning behind this I'm not impressed. The sad part is his so-called 'beliebers' may not be able to recognize that he is not an authority on these types of subjects and think to question for themselves. Then again, I doubt many of his fans who are pre-pubescent girls read Rolling Stone.

0 comments: