Sunday 6 February 2011

You do you

"Operation Self-Esteem--Day Fucking One." -Elizabeth Gilbert

If there has to be one thing I love about getting older it has to be that I just don't give a fuck anymore. I know who I am and what I want and I stopped apologising for that years ago. People's comments don't hurt me anymore.

It's a beautiful thing really, getting comfortable with yourself and all. You don't really care about other people, even if that sounds somewhat narcissistic it's a nice feeling. You know that if all these people were gone tomorrow that you would still be okay. Maybe I read to much Thoreau in my high school days but wow, did he help me out. His best words of advice: "Never take advice" and I would have to agree.

There a lot of people out there who think that they know better than you do and, believe me, they will let you know it. When I was preparing to move abroad I encountered loads of these type. People who had never left the state let alone the country but somehow felt they had the authority to tell me what to do. Needless to say, I recognized that irony and here I am writing this from a library in central London.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you're not comfortable with yourself and able to make decisions on your own then you should probably sort that shit out. You're not going to lead the potentially amazing life you could have if you have no self-esteem, no trust in yourself. In fact, that is my resolution for 2011, to trust myself a little more. As it turns out, I do know what I'm doing after all.

x

0 comments: